Spitfire Mk.VII

Let’s start with something familiar.

I think I’ve built a dozen of Spitfire kits in my life. Mostly Airfix ones. This Hasegawa one will work great to familiarize myself with the new generation of kits.

HAS02096_box

First of all, the cockpit interior is a bit better than the classic Airfix Mk.I one. There’s a decal for the instruments panel and the stick is finely molded. No side details, but the kit will have a closed canopy, so that won’t be too noticeable in 1:72.

For reference, here’s what a real Spitfire interior looks like:

detail_spit19_10

And this is what I am working on:

spitfire cockpit 01

And this is how it looks when I’m calling it done:

spitfire cockpit 03

spitfire cockpit 02

I know. Early days 🙂

Spitfire 04

Now that the interior is done, let’s tackle the rest of the aircraft.

Putting together the fuselage was not particularly difficult. I took advantage of Citadel’s Liquid Green Stuff to fill up the usual gaps, now I’m just waiting for everything to be bone dry before starting to sand.

While waiting, I decided that my airbrushing needs would be better served with a gravity-fed one, rather than a siphon one like the Paasche VL0912 that I own now.

So, in a couple of days I’ll be the proud owner of a new Neo CN for Iwata. I’ll let you know how that works 🙂

Spitfire_05

Well, look at that.

Glued, filled, sanded, masked, primed and painted fuselage is drying now.

Already the best Spitfire I’ve ever built, the new airbrush is really making a difference 🙂

Forgot to take pictures during the painting and finishing stages, so here they are:

First of all, here’s the plane, finished with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Clear TS-79 and Tamiya Weathering Master D:

WP_20150519_005

WP_20150519_006

WP_20150519_004

Then I decided to build a little simple display base, using three figures from the Airfix RAF Airfield set.

WP_20150520_001

WP_20150520_006

WP_20150520_002

Figures were primed, painted with Vallejo Model Color Prussian Blue (70.965) and shaded with Citadel Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade. The pavement was made by finding a concrete pattern online, importing it in Word (yeah, sophisticated tools here 🙂 ), adding a dashed line and printing it on a B&W laser printer.

Then went with a yellow highlighter on the dashed line, cut and glued on a 7.5″ x 7.5″ wood board.

Crazy glued the figure on top, et voila’!

1 comment for “Spitfire Mk.VII

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *